Current:Home > ScamsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TradeWise
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 11:21:31
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (82)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Mississippi high court rejects the latest appeal by a man on death row since 1994
- Proof You're Probably Saying Olympian Ilona Maher's Name Wrong
- Tito Jackson hospitalized for medical emergency prior to death
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Wheel of Fortune Contestant's Painful Mistake Costs Her $1 Million in Prize Money
- Texas lawmakers show bipartisan support to try to stop a man’s execution
- College Football Playoff bracketology: SEC, Big Ten living up to expectations
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Xandra Pohl Fuels Danny Amendola Dating Rumors at Dancing With the Stars Taping
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Couple rescued by restaurant staff after driving into water at South Carolina marina
- Kate Middleton Reaches New Milestone After Completing Chemotherapy for Cancer
- What will become of Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs’ musical legacy? Experts weigh in following his indictment
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Marvel's 'Agatha All Along' is coming: Release date, cast, how to watch
- Caitlin Clark finishes regular season Thursday: How to watch Fever vs. Mystics
- Justice Department sues over Baltimore bridge collapse and seeks $100M in cleanup costs
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
A Mississippi Confederate monument covered for 4 years is moved
Sean Diddy Combs Denied $50 Million Bond Proposal to Get Out of Jail After Sex Trafficking Arrest
City approves plan for Oklahoma hoops, gymnastics arena in $1.1B entertainment district
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Mary Jo Eustace Details Coparenting Relationship With Dean McDermott and Tori Spelling
Texas pipeline fire continues to burn in Houston suburb after Monday's explosion
Did You Know Earth Is Set to Have Another Moon in Its Orbit? Here's What That Means