Current:Home > NewsMaryland lawmakers say coming bill will clarify that feds fully pay for replacing Baltimore bridge -TradeWise
Maryland lawmakers say coming bill will clarify that feds fully pay for replacing Baltimore bridge
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:05:19
WASHINGTON (AP) — Members of Maryland’s congressional delegation announced Tuesday they will soon introduce a bill that will make clear the federal government will fully cover the cost of rebuilding Baltimore’s collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge.
The federal government generally picks up 90% of the tab and the state 10% when replacing bridges, but exceptions have occurred in similar emergency cases, said Sen. Ben Cardin, D-Md., after lawmakers attended a closed-door briefing on cleanup efforts. The legislation will also make clear that any money recovered from third parties will be used to reimburse federal taxpayers.
“The fundamental issue right now is passing legislation to clarify that this is 100% a federal responsibility,” Cardin said.
Officials said it’s unclear how much money will be required to replace the bridge, which collapsed last month after it was struck by a cargo ship. Some experts estimate recovery will take at least 18 months and cost $400 million. But Cardin said the final tab will depend upon the design of the bridge and the modern technologies included to accommodate far more barge traffic than was originally envisioned when the bridge was built in the 1970s.
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said the Biden administration expects that federal taxpayers will eventually be made whole for replacing the bridge, but that may take a while.
“Whatever insurance litigation and other related processes play out, we are not going to wait for them to play out to make sure these dollars are getting to where they need to be,” Buttigieg said. “And where they need to be is helping the people of Maryland rebuild right now.”
The bridge fell March 26 after it was hit by the cargo ship Dali, which lost power shortly after leaving Baltimore, bound for Sri Lanka. The ship issued a mayday alert with just enough time for police to stop traffic but not enough time to save a roadwork crew filling potholes on the bridge.
More than 50 salvage divers and 12 cranes are on site to help cut out sections of the bridge and remove them from the key waterway. Crews began removing containers from the deck over the weekend, and they’re making progress toward removing sections of the bridge that lie across the ship’s bow so it can eventually move, according to the Key Bridge Response Unified Command.
Lt. Gen. Scott A. Spellmon of the United States Army Corps of Engineers spoke to the congressional delegation and Maryland Gov. Wes Moore, a Democrat, on recovery efforts during a closed-door briefing at the Capitol. He said afterward there are 9,000 tons (8,165 metric tonnes) of steel and 3,000 tons (2,720 metric tonnes) of concrete at the bottom of the navigation channel leading into the Port of Baltimore.
“We are committed to getting this concrete and steel out of the channel by the end of May,” Spellmon said.
In the meantime, he said, officials are working to provide more access to the port. He said a limited access channel that is 280 feet (85 meters) wide and 35 feet (11 meters) deep will be completed this month, which will restore one-way access for most of the cargo coming into and out of Baltimore. He said captains will undergo training this week on using the channel.
veryGood! (8831)
prev:A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
next:Sam Taylor
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Israeli athletes to receive 24-hour protection during Paris Olympics
- SpongeBob SquarePants Is Autistic, Actor Tom Kenny Reveals
- SBC fired policy exec after he praised Biden's decision, then quickly backtracked
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- U.S. home prices reach record high in June, despite deepening sales slump
- Rays SS Taylor Walls says gesture wasn’t meant as Trump endorsement and he likely won’t do it again
- Ethiopia mudslides death toll nears 230 as desperate search continues in southern Gofa region
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- 'Horrifying': Officials, lawmakers, Biden react to deputy shooting Sonya Massey
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- She got cheese, no mac. Now, California Pizza Kitchen has a mac and cheese deal for anyone
- Salt Lake City celebrates expected announcement that it will host the 2034 Winter Olympics
- Voters who want Cornel West on presidential ballot sue North Carolina election board
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Netanyahu looks to boost US support in speech to Congress, but faces protests and lawmaker boycotts
- Police seek suspects caught on video after fireworks ignite California blaze
- The Founder For Starry Sky Wealth Management Ltd
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Team USA Women's Basketball Showcase: Highlights from big US win over Germany
Abortion rights supporters report having enough signatures to qualify for Montana ballot
Scheana Shay Addresses Rumors She's Joining The Valley Amid Vanderpump Rules' Uncertain Future
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
BETA GLOBAL FINANCE: Pioneer and Influence in the CBDC Field
New credit-building products are gaming the system in a bad way, experts say
Minnesota Vikings agree to massive extension with tackle Christian Darrisaw