Current:Home > NewsProsecutors may extend 'offers' to 2 defendants in Georgia election case -TradeWise
Prosecutors may extend 'offers' to 2 defendants in Georgia election case
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 12:18:38
With less than a month to go before the first trial gets underway in the sweeping Georgia election interference case, prosecutors in the Fulton County district attorney's office on Friday suggested they may extend some sort of plea offer to the two defendants set to stand trial.
Former Trump campaign attorney Sidney Powell and lawyer Kenneth Chesebro are scheduled to stand trial on Oct. 23 after a judge severed their cases from the 17 other defendants following the pair's speedy trial requests.
Powell and Chesebro, along with former President Donald Trump and 16 others, have pleaded not guilty to all charges in a criminal racketeering indictment for alleged efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election in the state of Georgia.
MORE: Judge severs Trump's Georgia election interference case, and 16 others, from trial starting in October
The possibility of an offer was raised Friday during a virtual status conference, when Judge Scott McAfee brought up "disposition without a trial" and asked if the state "is planning to convey any offers in this case?"
Prosecutor Nathan Wade responded that attorneys in the DA's office "have not made an offer." The judge then followed up, asking, "Is the state in the position to be able to make one in the near future?"
"Judge, I believe that we can," Wade replied. "We'll sit down and kind of put some things together and we'll reach out to defense counsel individually to extend an offer."
Chesebro is accused in the DA's indictment of drafting a strategy to use so-called "alternate electors" to prevent Joe Biden from receiving 270 electoral votes during the certification of the 2020 presidential election. His attorneys have argued that the action was justified since Chesebro, in working for Trump, was "fulfilling his duty to his client as an attorney."
Powell is accused of conspiring with other co-defendants to commit election fraud by allegedly encouraging and helping people tamper with ballot markers and machines inside an elections office in Coffee County.
Also during Friday's hearing, Judge McAfee opened the door to the possibility that more defendants may join the Oct. 23 trial.
Earlier this month, when McAfee severed the 17 defendants from the speedy trial, he ordered that all the remaining defendants must waive their right to speedy trial or they will "immediately" join the Oct. 23 trial -- but as of Friday, McAfee said, six defendants had still have not waived.
"I will be checking in with everyone today," McAfee said of the defendants who have not waived their right to speedy trial. "Based on the feedback and the response we get, if it dramatically shifts the dynamic, we will make room. Perhaps instead of two tables, we'll be getting three or four."
"We're taking it day by day," McAfee said.
Among the other 17 defendants, Trump, attorney Rudy Giuliani and former Trump Chief of Staff Meadows have all waived their speedy trial rights.
McAfee also offered an initial timetable for the trial, indicating he expects it to take 3-5 months.
veryGood! (22954)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Manhattan D.A. asks for narrowly tailored Trump gag order ahead of hush money trial
- I Shop Fashion for a Living, and I Predict These Cute Old Navy Finds Will Sell Out This Month
- Adam Sandler's Daughters Sunny and Sadie Are All Grown Up During Family Night Out
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Federal judge reverses himself, rules that California’s ban on billy clubs is unconstitutional
- Georgia lawmakers approve tax credit for gun safety training, ban on merchant code for gun stores
- Make Your Blowout Last with This Drugstore Hairspray That's Celebrity Hairstylist-Approved
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Stock market today: Asian shares mixed after Wall St edges back from recent highs
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Restrictive abortion laws disproportionately impact Black women in GOP-led states, new Democratic memo notes
- What's on the Michigan ballot for the 2024 primary? Here's what's being voted on today.
- Wendy Williams documentary producers say they didn’t know she had dementia while filming most scenes
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Eddie Driscoll, 'Mad Men' and 'Entourage' actor, dies at 60: Reports
- Burger chain Wendy’s looking to test surge pricing at restaurants as early as next year
- The 10 NFL draft prospects with most to prove at 2024 scouting combine
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Bill to set minimum marriage age to 18 in Washington state heads to governor
Maryland Senate votes for special elections to fill legislative vacancies
As MLB reduces one pitch clock time, Spencer Strider worries 'injury epidemic' will worsen
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
New footage shows moments after shooter opens fire at Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church
Rapidly expanding wildfires in the Texas Panhandle prompt evacuations
Noise pollution may be harming your health. See which US cities have the most.