Current:Home > StocksEthermac Exchange-Serbia says it has reduced army presence near Kosovo after US expressed concern over troop buildup -TradeWise
Ethermac Exchange-Serbia says it has reduced army presence near Kosovo after US expressed concern over troop buildup
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 13:05:18
BELGRADE,Ethermac Exchange Serbia (AP) — The Serbian army has cut the number of troops stationed on the border with Kosovo by nearly half, top Serbian military officials said on Monday, denying U.S. and other reports of a mass military buildup in the wake of a shooting over a week ago that killed four people and raised fears of instability in the volatile region.
Troop numbers are now at their “regular” level of some 4,500 soldiers, reduced from 8,350 in the wake of violence on Sept. 24 in northern Kosovo between heavily armed Serb gunmen and Kosovo police, the Serbian Army Chief of Staff Gen. Milan Mojsilovic said at a press conference.
He said troop numbers in the past had reached 14,000 soldiers and that unlike several times in the recent past, the army had not raised its combat readiness, so “from the military point of view I see no reason for such (critical) comments” by both U.S. and European Union officials.
Mojsilovic and Serbia’s Defense Minister Milos Vucevic also denied reports by Kosovo officials that the Serbian army trained and armed the group of some 30 men involved in the shootout in the northern Kosovo village of Banjska that left a Kosovo police officer and three insurgents dead.
Mojsilovic added the army training sometimes includes Serb reservists from Kosovo, a former Serbian territory whose 2008 declaration of independence Belgrade does not recognize, but that they were not part of the group that took part in the clashes.
Kosovo Prime Minister Albin Kurti said on X, the former Twitter, that the “terrorists who carried out the attacks” recently trained at two bases in Serbia and that “the attackers enjoyed the full support & planning of the Serbian state” with a wider plan to “annex” the north of Kosovo.
Such accusations present an “intellectual insult,” Mojsilovic said in Belgrade.
The incident in Banjska has raised concern in the West of possible instability in the Balkans as war also rages in Ukraine. U.S. and EU officials have been trying to negotiate an agreement to normalize relations between Serbia and Kosovo following their 1998-99 war after which NATO intervened to force Serbia to pull out of the province.
In Brussels, European Commission spokesman Peter Stano said the military buildup near Kosovo was “very concerning and needs to stop immediately.” Stano urged a thorough investigation into the Kosovo incident with full cooperation from Serbia, a candidate nation for EU membership.
“There is no place for arms and (a) security forces buildup on the European continent,” said Stano. “All forces need to stand down.”
There was no immediate comment from NATO on the reports of the Serbian army pullout from the border zone. John Kirby, spokesman for the White House National Security Council, on Friday described the Serbian troop movement as an “unprecedented staging of advanced Serbian artillery, tanks and mechanized infantry units.”
NATO last week announced it was beefing up its peacekeeping presence in Kosovo by some 200 British troops in the wake of the crisis. Spokesman Dylan White signaled Sunday that this would not be all, saying “further reinforcements will follow from other Allies.”
KFOR already comprises around 4,500 troops from 27 nations as part of the peacekeeping mission established after the NATO bombing of Serbia in 1999. An agreement that ended the conflict also defines relations with the Serbian military and its presence in the border area.
“Cooperation with KFOR is good and continuous,” said Vucevic. “The Serbian army believes additional presence of KFOR units (in Kosovo,) and primarily in the areas where Serbs live, would improve the security situation.
“If the army of the Republic of Serbia receives an order from the president, as the commander in chief, for its units to enter the territory of Kosovo and Metohija as part of the Republic of Serbia, the Army of Serbia would perform such a task efficiently, professionally and successfully,” Vucevic said, adding that KFOR would be informed in advance of such a decision.
Kosovo officials have said they are also investigating possible Russian involvement in the violence. Serbia is Russia’s main ally in Europe, and there are fears in the West that Moscow could try to stir trouble in the Balkans to avert attention from the war in Ukraine.
Serbia insists the insurgents were local ethnic Serbs fed up with constant harassment from the Kosovo government. Belgrade also claims at least one of the killed insurgents was executed after he was injured, rather than killed in the fighting.
—-
Dusan Stojanovic contributed.
veryGood! (4397)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Thursday August 8, 2024
- Why Zoë Kravitz & Channing Tatum's On-Set Relationship Surprised Their Blink Twice Costar Levon Hawke
- Taylor Swift Terror Plot: Police Reveal New Details on Planned Concert Attack
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Paris Olympics live updates: Noah Lyles takes 200m bronze; USA men's hoops rally for win
- Tennis Star Rafael Nadal Shares Honest Reason He Won’t Compete at 2024 US Open
- Dead woman found entangled in baggage machinery at Chicago airport
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Kendall Jenner's Summer Photo Diary Features a Cheeky Bikini Shot
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- The Latest: With major party tickets decided, 2024 campaign is set to play out as a 90-day sprint
- Kendall Jenner's Summer Photo Diary Features a Cheeky Bikini Shot
- Chicago White Sox, with MLB-worst 28-89 record, fire manager Pedro Grifol
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Deputies shoot and kill man in southwest Georgia after they say he fired at them
- Elle King opens up about Dolly Parton, drunken Opry performance: 'I'm still not OK'
- Nevada governor releases revised climate plan after lengthy delay
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
Debby bringing heavy rain, flooding and possible tornadoes northeast into the weekend
US jury convicts Mozambique’s ex-finance minister Manuel Chang in ‘tuna bonds’ corruption case
Police shooting of Baltimore teen prompts outrage among residents
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Love Is the Big Winner in Paris: All the Athletes Who Got Engaged During the 2024 Olympics
Christina Applegate Shares Surprising Coping Mechanism Amid Multiple Sclerosis Battle
Case that could keep RFK Jr. off New York’s presidential ballot ends