Current:Home > ContactPaula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co -TradeWise
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 21:54:38
Paula Abdul and Nigel Lythgoe have settled their lawsuit a year after the allegations sent shockwaves through the dance industry.
On Thursday, the "Straight Up" singer filed a notice of settlement for the lawsuit against her fellow former “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Lythgoe, which included allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The terms of the settlement are unknown.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Abdul filed a lawsuit against the former “American Idol” executive producer, alleging that he sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of "Idol" — on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 — and again in 2014 when she was judging "SYTYCD."
“I am grateful that this chapter has successfully come to a close and is now something I can now put behind me,” Abdul said in a statement provided to CNN and CBS News.
Abdul continued: "This has been a long and hard-fought personal battle. I hope my experience can serve to inspire other women, facing similar struggles, to overcome their own challenges with dignity and respect, so that they too can turn the page and begin a new chapter of their lives.”
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Abdul and Lythgoe for comment.
Nigel Lythgoe is leaving Fox's'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault lawsuits
Other allegations against Lythgoe
Days after Abdul filed her lawsuit, two contestants who appeared on the 2003 ABC talent competition show "All American Girl" accused Lythgoe of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and negligence stemming from an alleged attack in May of that year. They filed anonymously, using the names Jane Doe K.G. and Jane Doe K.N.
Lythgoe worked on 'American Idol', 'SYTYCD'
Lythgoe produced “Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and "SYTYCD" from 2005-14.
He was a "SYTYCD" judge from its inception in 2005, but stepped back from the "SYTYCD" judging panel in January, telling USA TODAY in a statement at the time that he "informed the producers of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ of my decision to step back from participating in this year’s series."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (6935)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Al Pacino Addresses Oscars Controversy Over Best Picture Presenting Moment
- Messi the celebrity dog made it to the Oscars. Here’s how the show pulled off his (clapping) cameo
- US, Canada and indigenous groups announce proposal to address cross-border mining pollution
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Some athletes swear by smelling salts. Here's the truth about them.
- Una inundación catastrófica en la costa central de California profundizó la crisis de los ya marginados trabajadores agrícolas indígenas
- Josh Jacobs to join Packers on free agent deal, per multiple reports
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- These BaubleBar Deals Only Happen Twice Year: I Found $6 Jewelry, Hair Clips, Disney Accessories & More
Ranking
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Oregon governor wants tolling plan on 2 Portland-area freeways scrapped
- How one dog and her new owner brought kindness into the lives of many
- A Kansas judge says barring driver’s license changes doesn’t violate trans people’s rights
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Selena Gomez's revealing documentary gave her freedom: 'There wasn't any hiding anymore'
- Nigeria police say 15 school children were kidnapped, days after armed gunmen abducted nearly 300
- Yamaha recall: More than 30,000 power adaptors recalled over electrocution risk
Recommendation
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Cowboys star QB Dak Prescott sues woman over alleged $100 million extortion plot
Donald Trump roasted Jimmy Kimmel on social media during the Oscars. Then the host read it on air.
NFL rumors abound as free agency begins. The buzz on Tee Higgins' trade drama and more
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Letter carrier robberies continue as USPS, union, lawmakers seek solutions
Boxing icon Muhammad Ali to be inducted into 2024 WWE Hall of Fame? Here's why.
The 9 Best Comforter Sets of 2024 That’re Soft, Cozy, and Hotel-Like, According to Reviewers