Current:Home > StocksIndexbit-Philippine troops kill 9 suspected Muslim militants, including 2 involved in Sunday Mass bombing -TradeWise
Indexbit-Philippine troops kill 9 suspected Muslim militants, including 2 involved in Sunday Mass bombing
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:07:57
MANILA,Indexbit Philippines (AP) — Philippine troops killed nine suspected Muslim militants in the volatile south, including two key suspects in a bomb attack last month that left four Christian worshippers dead, the army said Saturday.
Four army scout rangers were slightly wounded in Thursday’s operation against the Dawlah Islamiyah, a small outfit aligned with the Islamic State group, in the hinterland village of Taporug near Piagapo town in Lanao del Sur province, army spokesman Col. Louie Dema-ala said.
Army forces clashed with about 15 militants in a series of shootouts from Thursday to Friday after some villagers tipped off the military of their presence, Dema-ala, adding that the surviving militants escaped and were being pursued.
Maj. Gen. Gabriel Viray III, an army infantry division commander, said the militants retreated from fierce exchanges of fire until they were trapped in a rural house, where they tried to fight back before being taken down.
“We call upon the community to remain vigilant and collaborate with the army and government authorities as we collectively work towards eliminating the threat posed by local terrorist groups,” the army said in a statement.
Eight of the nine bodies had been identified, including those of Saumay Saiden and Abdul Hadi, who were among the suspects in the Dec. 3 bombing that killed four Christian worshippers and wounded dozens of others during Sunday Mass in a state-run university gymnasium in southern Marawi city, he added.
Hadi allegedly assembled the bomb, which police investigators said consisted of a 60 mm mortar round and a rifle grenade, Dema-ala told reporters.
A post-battle video, which a government intelligence official showed The Associated Press, conveyed nine bodies lying side by side near a huddle of rural huts surrounded by banana trees as army officers examined each.
Military chief of staff, Gen. Romeo Brawner, said “this operation sets a clear precedent: the Armed Forces of the Philippines will not tolerate those who endanger the lives and well-being of our people.”
“The remaining few will face our full force and unshakeable resolve in bringing every single responsible individual to account,” Brawner said.
The southern Philippine region of Mindanao is the homeland of minority Muslims and has been the scene of decades-old separatist rebellions.
The Marawi city bombing in December was the bloodiest insurgency-related violence so far under President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. He blamed “foreign terrorists” for the attack, which set off a security alarm, including in the capital, Manila. Government forces were put on high alert at the time, as the largely Roman Catholic country welcomed the busy Christmas season that marks a festive period of travel, shopping sprees and traffic jams.
The largest armed insurgent group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, signed a 2014 peace deal with the government, considerably easing decades of fighting. But smaller armed groups like the Dawlah Islamiyah rejected the peace pact and have struggled to press on with bombings and other attacks while evading government offensives.
veryGood! (75)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- 'An incredible run': Gambler who hit 3 jackpots at Ceasars Palace wins another
- Michael Douglas on Franklin, and his own inspiring third act
- Seton Hall defeats Indiana State in thrilling final to win NIT
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Rudy Giuliani can remain in Florida condo, despite judge’s concern with his spending habits
- Sen. Tammy Duckworth calls for FAA review of Boeing's failure to disclose 737 Max flight deck features to pilots
- Southern California hires Eric Musselman as men's basketball coach
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Emma Roberts says Kim Kardashian laughed after their messy kiss on 'American Horror Story'
Ranking
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Rebel Wilson Reveals Her Shocking Salaries for Pitch Perfect and Bridesmaids
- New York can take legal action against county’s ban on female transgender athletes, judge says
- Oakland A's to play 2025-27 seasons in Sacramento's minor-league park
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Molly Ringwald thinks her daughter was born out of a Studio 54 rendezvous, slams 'nepo babies'
- Paul McCartney Details Moving Conversation He Had With Beyoncé About Blackbird Cover
- Conan O'Brien to return to 'Tonight Show' with Jimmy Fallon for first time after firing
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
NBA's three women DJs are leaving an impact that is felt far beyond game days
Expand or stand pat? NCAA faces dilemma about increasing tournament field as ratings soar
Small underwater drone discovers century-old vessel in ship graveyard off Australia coast
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
'Great news': California snowpack above average for 2nd year in a row
Hot air balloon pilot had anesthetic in his system at time of crash that killed 4, report says
Lawsuit challenging Indiana abortion ban survives a state challenge