Current:Home > reviewsDonald Glover Cancels Childish Gambino Tour Following Hospitalization -TradeWise
Donald Glover Cancels Childish Gambino Tour Following Hospitalization
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 12:11:30
Donald Glover is prioritizing his health.
The Community alum—who makes music under the stage name Childish Gambino—announced the cancellation of his New World Tour after sharing he was hospitalized in September for an undisclosed illness.
“After my show in New Orleans, I went to the hospital in Houston to make sure of an ailment that had become apparent,” the Atlanta star wrote in a post on X (formerly Twitter) Oct. 4. “After being assessed, it became clear I would not perform that night, and after more tests, I could not perform the rest of the US tour in the time asked.”
The “This Is America” rapper initially kicked off the tour in Oklahoma City on Aug. 11 before postponing the North American dates weeks later, citing his “physical health.” He was scheduled to return to the stage Oct. 31 in France as part of the tour’s European leg.
“As of now I have surgery scheduled and need time out to heal,” the Grammy winner, 41, continued. “My path to recovery is something I need to confront seriously. With that said, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the remainder of the North American tour and the UK and European dates.”
“I want nothing more than to bring this show to the fans and perform,” he concluded. “Until then, thanks for love, privacy, and support.”
The tour was first announced in May, ahead of the release of Bando Stone & the New World, Glover’s fifth and final album under the Childish Gambino moniker. Amid rumors he planned to retire the stage name, he told E! News in 2023 the alter ego wasn’t going anywhere.
“No, that was out in the ethos," he said at the time. “You don't have to worry about that. He'll be back. He's here right now.”
However, the Mr. & Mrs. Smith actor—who shares sons Legend, 7, Drake, 6, and Donald Glover III, 4, with wife Michelle White—seemingly changed his mind earlier this year, citing multiple factors in his decision including his family obligations, increasing film/TV commitments and the overall decline of album sales.
“It really was just like, ‘Oh, it’s done,’” he told the New York Times in July. “It’s not fulfilling. And I just felt like I didn’t need to build in this way anymore.”
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (464)
Related
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- The questions about Biden’s age and fitness are reminiscent of another campaign: Reagan’s in 1984
- Dave Grohl's Sleek Wimbledon Look Will Have You Doing a Double Take
- Jürgen Klopp for USMNT? Alexi Lalas, Tim Howard urge US Soccer to approach ex-Liverpool boss
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- New state climatologist for Louisiana warns of a ‘very active’ hurricane season
- Why Jennifer Tilly Was Terrified to Join Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
- Police fatally shoot suspect allegedly holding hostages at South Dakota gas station
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- 4 major takeaways from the Supreme Court's most consequential term in years
Ranking
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Victoria and David Beckham Celebrate 25th Wedding Anniversary in the Most Posh Way Possible
- Euro 2024 bracket: Full quarterfinals schedule
- Verdict expected for Iranian-born Norwegian man charged in deadly 2022 Oslo LGBT+ festival attack
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Josh Hartnett Shares His Daughters' Adorable Reactions to Attending Taylor Swift's Eras Tour
- The Daily Money: Investors divided on Trump vs Biden
- Experts doubt Trump will get conviction tossed in hush money case despite Supreme Court ruling
Recommendation
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Man suffers severe shark bite on South Padre Island during July Fourth celebrations
Euro 2024 bracket: Full quarterfinals schedule
Video shows people feeding bears from balcony of Smoky Mountain lodge, violating law
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Lakers sign Bronny James to rookie deal same day as LeBron
U.S. military heightens security alert level at European bases in response to threats
As France and US face threats from within, we need Olympics more than ever